Saturday, February 25, 2017

12th February, Keresley Library, Coventry

Mercian DBA 2017 Sunday 12th February


Having missed Usk and Burton, my first outing of the year was to the Mercian DBA event in Coventry.  

This year's theme was Italian Wars - to explore the extension of the V3's take on anc-med into the early 16th Century (a slight period creep in the new edition, and armies not all od us have played much) ...

In that spirit, I took along a late Medieval German army full of Landsknechte.


This army was drawn from my FoG-R Italian Wars army and certainly looked the part.  I gave it a fantasy Gothic fairy-tale castle as an Edifice camp: originally bought for next to nothing as a semi-historical HOTT stonghold, this just looked the part.

Oh, and I borrowed an anachronistic gun from Northampton.

I played against Swiss, Tudor English, French, Spanish and Italian Condottieri (twice) ...

Sort of ... in Mercia you play the first three games with your army, the last three against.




I registered 3 wins, a defeat and 2 'time up' draws ... and that put me bottom of the top 10 in a field of 20.  I bagged a general but didn't take a camp (that seems less of an option in V3) ... Not so bad for a first go in ages but you'd have thought I'd have mastered this game by now.

I wasn't too sure about the 'period' but enjoyed it a lot - the games were close and challenging and everyone got some scores ...



Graham Fordham was narrowly pipped for top spot, on countback, by Tony Green ... and Tamara was the higher placed of the juniors.

(Mercia 2017 ... Graham and Tony on top)

(Mercia 2017 ... most of the rest of us: from Martin Smith's album - he's behind the camera)

Here's another glimpse of those Germans ... good enough to merit a feature I think - I'll do a photo set shortly.


More DBA to come - Alton Matched Pairs.  See you there!

No comments: