Friday, April 30, 2010

London Excel (part 2)

More of Salute

Well, with all those wonderful ancient and medieval games to look at I thought it best to put this 'best of the rest' collection in a separate post. Here is a photo tour ...I'll not say much, but these caught my eye.

Not everything was 28mm, of course ...

(Skirmish Wargames ... 54mm Sudanese scenario)

But here's something for the Dr Who fans.


(A Rig Too Far)

I loved this simple naval game. It genuinely reminded me of Charleston harbour.


(Naval Wargames Society's Fort Sumter game)


Of course, Fort Sumter just survives as a single layer of casemates, these days, as my pictures from last year show. A great chance to contrast photos from the place with the place depicted in a game. Thanks.

Some more big figures - swinging from the chandeliers, per chance? They're behind you, of course ...

Best Game overall was this Kamikaze fest ...


(Whitstable & Herne Bay's Divine Wind)

A couple of different games followed the current interest in the War for America (this is what Facebook terms trending, I believe ....)


(Peter Pig's Washington's Army game)
(Miller's Crossing, Philadelphia 1778)

I liked the ships riding on tumblers in this sub aqua game ... there's just something interesting going on ...


And even though it was fantasy, this game was on a table that was not rectangular (think about it).


Some more interesting planes ... over the Eastern Front ...

and delivering a coup de main three decades later ...


And on a couple of lighter notes ...

To the Frothers, size isn't everything ...

No, seriously, stop - size just isn't everything ...

And I just couldn't resist including this shot of some youngsters commanding the Greeks in Phil Sabin's game ... Something is clearly wrong here ...

Well those Kamikaze pilots have clearly completed their mission and gone top heaven ... they're playing an ancients game!

Great show - thanks to everyone ... especially the exhibitors who put on a gave us a great showcase of the best that's around.

2 comments:

BigLee said...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. There seemed to be even more to see and do this year (maybe it's my imagination). So much so I almost ran out of time to see it all.

SoA Shows North said...

Thanks Lee.
I agree - better than ever, this year.
You've seen my 'part 2', I'm still organising pictures and comment for 'part 1', which is the ancient and medieval games (of which there was a huge amount compared to times past).
I go to a lot of shows with the SoA Team ... but was genuinely impressed.

Phil